Saturday, June 11, 2005

The Never Ending Run

I ran a marathon last sunday, but havent written about it because I am depressed due to injury. A marathon, if you dont know, is 26.2 miles, the last 0.2 miles being the longest. I admit, I didnt train as long or as hard as I should have. But my only goal was to finish and I did. I cried twice. Once, at mile 23.5, when my left foot hurt so much I couldn't bear to run any longer. And the second time, at mile 24.5, when the pain became unbearable when walking. So I ran again. Now, you should know that I have a high pain tolerance. Last summer, when I broke both bones in my arm, I wasnt even going to go to the ER. When I pierced my tongue at the young age of 18 (by one day), I didn't even cringe. But constant, aching pain really gets to me. Last quarter I fell asleep with whitening strips on my teeth. The next three days were awful. Also, the pain of getting a tatoo is extremely uncomfortable. I prefer a quick painful injury to aching pain with every step/breath/injection of ink any day.

At the finish line of the marathon there was a complimentary beer. I was very stoked about this. I didnt cheer or talk most of the run, but when I saw a guy with a poster that read "7 miles to beer", I mustered up a "yah beer!". But I had to wait in line for this much awaited beer, and when I got it, it was a barely cold Michelob Ultra. How dissapointing.

Well, its about 3 days until summer break, and I couldnt be more excited. I got a research position, so will be spending much time on campus looking through a microscope. Ro will be returning from Oregon soon, and we will move into pikapp. Once my foot heals I am going to start training again. So there is a lot to look forward to in the near future.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home