Sunday, November 07, 2004

Chaste in LA

Rudolph: "So is your boyfriend into football also?"
me: "however surprising, I am the only single person working here."
Rudoph: "oh, weird."

So, I dont mean to sound like Carrie Bradshaw, but I never realized how single I am. I am not a Sex in the City fanatic, but if I had to compare myself to a cast member, I would say I am a cross between Miranda and Samantha, with Charlotte's style. Oh, and the hottest character on Friends, is Ross. Now that that's out of my system, I always considered college to be a very 'single' period of one's life. Currently, I am the only single member of my apartment, and the only single employee at Anastasia's. I never really thought about my lack of a significant other until very recently.
I will not claim to know a lot about relationships. My most successful relationship was open and long-distant (is that even considered a relationship?). Previously, I even described myself as committment-phobic. My attitude towards many things is often described as 'masculant', relations with the opposite sex included. I have attempted the 'friends with benefits' situation, and it doesn't work very well. My lack of emotional involvement always seems to attract interest from a male. A coworker of mine, Melissa, and I propose that perhaps men are attracted to the cool and uninterested female that either ignores them, or is borderline rude to them. I hope that our hypothesis is false. Otherwise, the first graders who tease their crushes have already figured out the game of love.
So where are you supposed to find something substantial? Supposedly, we should not look at all. Some of my friends are into meeting people at bars. I think this is quite possibly the worst place to meet someone. First of all, most guys in bars are looking for one-night stands. I am of the opinion that random hookups are very empty and leave much to be desired. Also, in my experience, conversation in bars is extremely shallow and occasionally shady. Even if your soulmate were at the same bar and you met them, chances are, they are completely wasted and acting like an idiot. I enjoy hanging out with friends at a bar, but if you are looking to chat with strangers the whole time, please don't invite me.
I hope I have not made it seem like I am opposed to a committed situation. If both people are comfortable with themselves and enjoy each others company (beyond sex), then a healthy relationship is possible. I am only critical of the maturity of most people our age in regard to the opposite sex. This critism comes from having many friends make comments about the other gender (living with guys for a year and a half helped also).
After arguing with her boyfriend on the phone, Melissa said, "you are lucky to be single." Perhaps she is correct; I don't deal well with emotional drama and am attracted to sensitive men. Whatever the case, I must now find another distraction to midterm studying. A bottle of cab is waiting to be opened...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you're totally hot...and I would totally go for you. But...I'm leaving my name blank because i'm shy. Brains like yours combined with digging all the outdoors stuff - very cool. I hope you find someone.

8:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home