Friday, October 29, 2004

Licorice Jellybean

Nearly every day I sit in class and wonder...do I belong here? I look around at my fellow engineering majors who sit in the front rows, exchange words with the professors, stay awake all lecture, and struggle with socialization. Alternatively, I sit in the back row, do the crossword, and take a power nap. A classmate said to me, "wow, youre really good at the crossword, I suck at those". I responded with, "yeah? well you will probably make a better engineer". Not too many engineers enjoy wine, jazz, veganness, leisure reading, and the outdoors. When I meet people and tell them my major, they usually ask me to 'prove' it to them. Outrageous. Why would I make that up?
Every quarter I take a north campus class for fun and sanity. I dont feel I fit in there either. On the way to class in public policy, I passed a distressed UCLA football player, with an attractive blond on his arm, who said, "man, I cant spell worth shit"! I could not deal with athletes and trendy people in all my classes. So, I guess I am left with being considered nerdy by most UCLA students, and a slacker by my classmates.

Quotes:
"People joke about things that are serious to them." -Tishuan

"Its the best forearm workout you can get." -Ben

1 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

I feel your pain. At least at your school you have jocks and blondes to break up the mundane nerdiness. At my school, everyone is expected to be an engineer. I look around and sometimes think, "Does everyone else understand this stuff? Am I the only Computer Engineer that DOESN'T like talking in geek?"

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home