Sunday, March 06, 2005

Drinking Out of the Barrel

I fucking love Sonoma County. It is such a unique place with beautiful scenery. I just returned from a whirlwind tour of there with Ro. We drove up at 1:45am after I got off work. We arrived at 8:00am and slept for three hours before going wine tasting.

Awesomely enough, it happened to be barrel tasting weekend. The rain had ceased, and it was sunny and 80 (degrees F) all weekend. On Saturday we visited Alderbrook, Armida, De La Montana, and Limerick Lane. Armida had a heaven and hell themed tasting. It was like being at a frat party with classy people, very strange. They had a chardonnay in 'heaven' that was still in the second stage, so contained yeast. The girl pouring was from my high school, it was kind of awkward because I didnt remember her name. 'Hell' was much more fun. They had amazing zins there, and had a decent pinot. It was really fun because my dad knew people everywhere we went, and I didnt feel like a tourist at all. I was lucky enough to make it out of Limerick Lane with a bottle of 1023 (half zin, half syrah, so good). After tasting, we took a nap.

After mexican food and margaritas, I took Ro and Matt to Ace-in-the-hole pub, where we did cider tasting. There was a very Sebastopol mix of people there, half of them had dreadlocks, half had cowboy boots. We decided to hit up the two bars 'downtown' (downtown consists of one street, Main St.). First was Jasper O'Farrels. They had an impressive band that played everything from Snoop Dogg to Marvin Gaye. Also, one of the guys played a didgeridoo. David met us there, and we hit up Old Main St Saloon. This is the place where bikers eat sushi (so my mother claims). For a quarter, you can make a train circle the room. They have a jukebox, which was controlled by a lone cowboy, whose dancing was an even mix of riding a harley, and posing for a bodybuilding contest. It was very amusing.

The next day we visited Meeker. They have excellent wines there, and their tasting room used to be a teepee. It is now in an old bank, with old fashioned teller windows and an elaborate vault. There we tasted a lot of wine, and I met a hottie. It is heartbreaking to me how much I like norcal guys. They are so chill. Anyhow, it is a small world. Not only am I oddly connected to Matt (who Ro met randomly), this random guy at Meeker was RA to my friend from high school. A Stanford grad who is really chill and good-looking and pours me wine he's not really supposed to. I hate LA.

Things I have learned this weekend:

1. I love Sebtown (even if Ro and Sherry dont).
2. I love wine (esp zin).
3. old and complicated friendships, remain complicated.
4. Norcal guys are awesome.
5. I miss nature and stars.


Quotes:

"I need a getaway, I need to get my sperm away from my nutsack." -Adam Corolla (loveline)

"Once you loose your fear of death, nobody can hurt you."- A guy at Kirchoff patio to his newborn daughter (so odd)

Also: I had no idea I am this nerdy:
I am nerdier than 85% of all people. Are you nerdier? Click here to find out!

2 Comments:

Blogger Robert said...

Congrats on your nerdliness. An 85% is pretty impressive. I bet you have a fair amount of computer geek in you too.

By the way, what is a "Norcal" guy? Is it slang for North Californian or just the type of razor he uses?

1:35 PM  
Blogger Natty said...

I wish I had some computer geek in me. hehe. yeah, a norcal guy was referring to northern california, which is practically another country when compared to LA. Although, the razor thing made me laugh out loud in my space tech class, and everyone looked at me funny. Im so misunderstood.

4:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home