Thursday, February 24, 2005

I Swear I Read Books

I often joke about not going to libraries. Its not a joke. This year was the first time I have ever entered a library (Arts Library was first). Do you know they have scary bars you have to walk through? I have yet to visit the Engineering Library where many of my classmates spend a good portion of their UCLA lives. And, yesterday was my first time in Powell. So, the only reason I broke my anti-library streak is because of theater classes. The first time I went in search of a play, we were sent between four libraries, and only found it in the English reading room, where you cant even check out books, or talk. Libraries are way too quiet.

Yesterday, I went to the Arts Library and smugly used the computer to look up a title. It said it was located in the 'College Library'. I thought, weird, I have never heard of that one.

"Wheres the College Library?"
"Powell."

When I get to Powell, I see a sign on the door that says "College Library Hours". Right. Smartly, I have written the call number of the book on my wrist. I see a sign that says "P-Z Level G". sweet. The security guard notices I look confused, and asks, "Do you need help finding something?"

"Wheres the elevator?"
"What floor do you need?"
"Level G."
"Thats the ground floor...youre on it."

His assumption that UCLA is an excellent school was verified at this time. Anyhow, I searched through endless shelves, and of course, they didnt even have the book I needed. All the time I have spent in libraries has been fruitless and embarrassing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home