Thursday, December 02, 2004

Privacy Please

I know most of you tend to forget I am a female, but I do posess some very female qualities. Amongst those is, a love for shoes, the way I act when speaking about a 'crush', and my tendancy to be physically self-conscious. I always was the most modest member of my family. As a child and teenager, I wouldn't even change clothes in front of my mother.
At Thanksgiving this year, my mother called me 'prissy', and my aunt 'prudish'. These are words I have never heard describing me outside of my family. I wont go into why they said that, but its very much false. I first conquered my fear of exposure spring quarter of last year. I was swimming laps at SAC about three days a week. I usually went before class, so had to shower afterward. They had public showers, and its difficult to be modest and get clean at the same time. During the summer I broke my arm and had to stop swimming, but, I lived at pikapp. Beyond having male roomates, I had the broken arm, and lived in a room without a door. It took me forever to change clothes and I grew tired of worrying that someone would see me. Once, before an interview, I had to ask someone in the house to button my blouse for me. Then I moved into my apartment. I have had my own room for about four months now. So today I decided to start swimming again (its been mostly running and yoga all quarter). I am disappointed to find that they have installed curtains in the shower area. Although, I am pretty sure a couple of lesbians were showering together behind one of the curtains. It seems that until I have a roomate again, I will get to be modest.
Mostly unrelated, Thanksgiving was awesome. I adopted Eden and took him with me to my Grandma's house in the desert. It was covered in snow; the first time I have ever seen it like that. I never get to see snow. There was about 25 people there; the usual party. The usual crude/sexist humor and making me blush took place. We drank a lot and played poker. I took shots with my mom and younger brother around 1:30am. Awesome. My brother brought two French exchange students, who were hilarious. One of them reminded me of Harry Potter, but he was less than thrilled when I told him that. We saw The Incredibles, which was better than I expected. This year we only stayed up until 3amish, but it was fine with me, because my roomate had her birthday party the night before. Friday I returned to Westwood only to work all weekend. Although, I did get to visit the Ghetty with Rob and the French guys. I have lived here for over three years and have never been there. It was awesome. I am always surprised at my appreciation for 'artsy' things. I heard there is an Einstein exhibit at the Skirball center, anyone want to go?
I am quitting one of my jobs next quarter, so I will actually have a life again. I have been super frustrated with my Orbital Mechanics professor and a certain journalist for the Db magazine this week. If I can make it to winter break, all will be okay. My parents' famous Christmas party is Dec 18th; always crazy fun. And I am so stoked about my trip to New York. Marni, good shopping, Times Square, Broadway shows, Boston! Okay, gotta get through finals first.

Jokes:

"Why does a blond haired woman take those pills only women take (birth control)?"
"So she knows what day it is." Julian (imagine a French accent)

"You know your a redneck if...you climb into your car through the window." some jerk at Thanksgiving; that is soooo not funny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home