Friday, November 10, 2006

Suspicious of Happy

I walk into my meeting with my professor and I am in a fairly good mood. I smile and say hello. He is instantly suspicious. "Why are you so happy?" I reply, "I dunno", with a grin. He immediately asks, "Do you have a [new] boyfriend?" Why would he assume my happiness is based on others? I find it odd that a single angry man in his 30's would assume that. In addition, my poor mood at meetings is usually due to Frenchie making me angry. Basically, he is telling me to be happier and sleep more and such, or he is suspicious as to why I would be happy. It's really a no-win situation.

This situation somehow reminded me of this guy, Dr. W, from Idaho. A guy in my program said he thought I would marry someone like Dr. W. I hope I will be so lucky. I don't think there are guys my age like him. Dr. W is accomplished and agressive in a professional atmosphere, chill socially, and totally thinks the world of his wife. He told me when he introduced his future wife to his brother, he said, "wow, she's intense". He replied, "yeah" in a loving sigh. Most guys think 'intense' or 'complicated' or 'opinionated' are bad things in a woman. Dr. W realizes, like I do, that 'complicated' people are interesting. I don't want to spend 50 years of my life with someone who is boring. I mean, with the stresses of a great career and a family, having a spouse that still surprises you and can be part of new conversations is amazing. I mean, I am not really expecting to get married soon or anything, but I am a little disheartened as to the attitude of most males in my generation.

Sidenote secret: recently, for the first time in a year, I have butterflies in my stomach and stammer on like a complete idiot (more than usual at least). I am loving every second of it. I think I will stick with crushes on strangers for awhile... it's never disappointing and doesn't involve a time commitment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home